A guide to making your experience great.
What goes into creating a flash mob?
Contrary to what the the name suggests, a flash mob takes time and organization to pull off well. It involves:
- Getting clear on what you want and how it can be done well.
- Project management and communication between the various parties.
- Getting the music just right.
- Custom choreography to fit the tone, music, location and character of your vision.
- Casting and gathering the flash mobbers.
- Rehearsals and sometimes training videos
- The actual flash mob! (with all the unexpected joys of a live event)
- Multi-camera videography and video editing. (Encouraged, but optional)
Fortunately, we specialize in doing all of that!
How much does it cost?
- Each mob is different–custom created for the event. Each has a different location, size, timing, audio & video requirements, costumes, possible travel, and degree of event management. Because of this, the price for each mob is different.
- We pride ourselves on being able to craft a meaningful experience to fit your budget, needs, and vision.
How long is a mob?
- 2-4 minutes, with most being in the 2.5-3 minute range. If it is longer than that, you lose the “flash” part of a flash mob.
How big is a typical mob?
- 6-20 people, with most being 8-10 or 12-14. If it is any smaller than that, you lose the “mob” part of a flash mob.
How much advance notice do you need?
- The more the better. Some people put a deposit for a mob over a year in advance. That being said, we typically need at least two weeks notice for “rush” events, but preferably four to six weeks to make sure your flash mob will go off without a hitch. On very rare occasions, when the stars align, we can do an event with one week’s notice, but don’t count on it.
Can I or my friends / employees be in it?
- Yes! We can create a segment of the flash mob for you, your friends, family, and colleagues/employees to join in! Whatever your dance ability, we’ll make sure you’re having fun and looking good.
Can it be videotaped?
- Yes! We typically do a two-camera video recording with light editing that captures the spirit of the event.
What cities do you work in?
- We create flash mobs in and around most major metropolitan cities of the US and Canada using local choreographers and participants. When in doubt, contact us! We’ll let you know if we can service your area.
Where can I have my flash mob?
- The easiest places to have outdoor flash mobs are public areas like parks, wide sidewalks, beaches, and plazas, or your backyard.
- Malls, restaurants, and other private locations require securing permission from the management. Most places are happy to be a part of it, but it still needs to be pre-arranged. Big Hit will help you know what questions to ask!
- Amusement parks also require permission from management (they’re stricter than most). Also keep in mind that you would have to pay the entrance fee for each flash mobber.
- Airports – we can’t do events at airports unless you have special access to the TSA, airline or airport operator. There are lots of other great places to send welcome people home / send them off. Not sure of alternate locations that will work? Big Hit will help you come up with options.
Do I need a permit?
- While not always necessary, permits are very nice to have in certain situations. They ensure the location will be available, and the flash mob will be able to happen without police intervention.
- While we’ve got a rebellious streak, on the extremely rare occasion law enforcement authorities interrupt a flash mob, Big Hit will always follows their instructions.